Sunday, February 7, 2010

more memories


The hardest part of doing relief work is hearing the stories of young boys and girls and seeing the sadness and despair in their eyes.

I met Dol the first day of clinic at the soccer stadium. He told me he lost his mother in the earthquake. The next time I saw him was in the clinic. He came with his 2 y/o brother. His medical complaint to us was that he hadn't seen his 2 y/o brother smile since his mother died.

on the third visit, he actually showed me a cell phone picture of his dead mother.

Dol is the saddest little boy I have met. It's hard to find the right words to say to a 13 y/o boy in such moments. I will always remember Dol and keep him in my prayers.


The guys in the green shirts are the most amazing group of guys i have met. they were our drivers/interpreters/bodyguards/helpers all in one. Each of these men had lost immensely during the earthquake - some lost loved ones, all lost material goods and homes - yet they showed up daily with a smile and a zeal for work.

They kept telling us that we were VIPs in their country because we were "medicos".

The truth is i have never met a more VIP group of men in my life. It was an honor to be a part of their life for a few days.

No comments: